Friday 29 December 2017

Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago: Scenery

OK, so it's been a while since I updated my Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago project, but I have not been neglecting it! I have painted some new models, bringing my crew up to the maximum 10. I'm still going to add a few more in case I want to change the composition at any point, but in terms of required figures I'm done. I don't know if I've posted this archer and pearl diver before, but anyway these are two of them. I don't have a photo I like of the Heritor, but oh well.


I ordered some cheap plastic palm trees off Aliexpress, and they finally arrived. They're a bit rough, but at something like a dozen for £2 I am happy with them. I drybrushed the trunks and fronds right on to the plastic and they look not too bad. I am mounting on them bases for stability; here's the completed first one.


As you can see, I've added some beachfront real estate to my islands/hills by buying some sandy-coloured felt from Hobbycraft. It's 55p a sheet, and I just cut it to make irregular shapes that I can use as sand bars, beaches and so on for the islands. It adds some verticality to the terrain, which is nice, and I'm going to make more.

The water is just turquoise crushed velvet. I got enough to cover my table on eBay for about £4. It'll form a shallow-water base, while the islands and beaches are connected by a network of docks, stepping stones, reefs, bridges, and so on. The fallen tree in this shot comes from a kids' playset I got at a car boot sale and actually holds up a figure pretty well.


The coffee-stirrer walkways need a little weathering, but they didn't take long and I can make more of them easily, so I'm happy with them.

And of course, I've been collecting relevant bits since forever, so lots of things get reused. I do like these Lord of the Rings ladders, which actually hold up a plastic miniature pretty well.


So yeah: warband finished, terrain coming along nicely. I think I'm about ready to start playing!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really happy with how it's developing and I hope I'll be able to actually put it to use starting this week.

      Delete